Monday, December 16, 2013

Memories Continued

In April 1963, I went into the Air Force.  In November of 63 I was stationed at Chanute AFB, Rantoul, Illinois, for 32 weeks of training.  My wife and I lived in a  fourplex with 3 other couples.  We attended a Bible Baptist church.  Our total income was $150.00 a month.  We were as poor as church mice.

The Sunday afternoon before Thanksgiving there was a knock at our door.  We opened the door and standing there was a couple from our church.  They were carrying a large box of food including a turkey and a ham with all the fixings.  The box of food fed four couples for a week.  We were greatly blessed by that congregations generosity.  I am thankful everyday for the gifts that God continues to provide.  Mel Hurst

There are 100’s of things I am thankful for and it is hard to put them into any kind of order or down on paper.  The first would have to be our God and his patience with us.  Next would probably be having been born into such a great family, and then of course the wonderful family we have.  They are all so loving and kind to us as we grow older.  But when I think of such things the first thing that comes to my mind is my brother David.  He is gone now but few days go by that I don’t think about him and the impact he made on my life.  He was 22 months older than I but he never did lord it over me and for the most part just took care of me and got me out of a lot of jams as we grew up.   A few things I remember were getting me down from the pine tree when I was too scared to come back down after climbing up to follow him.  He helped me pull my boots out of the mud when they pulled off my feet on the way to the corner to catch the bus on rainy and snowy days.  As we got older he was always there for me and I think I learned to be patient with everyone from him.  This is not very well written but the sentiment is clear I loved him so much and miss him every time I think of him.  Lots of tears are shed but still I’m glad to have had him as long as I did.  JoAnn Birkby

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you to all who have shared their special Memories with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment