Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Word From Scott

I have so many emotions, thoughts during this "wait and see what happens" time.  One night while standing on the bluff looking at the vast farm land that has been claimed by the Mighty Missouri River my eyes turned to the far south and I could see McKissick Island.  It is here that I spent the summers of my childhood and teen years, mowing the grass, fishing in the little pond, riding in the tractor with Harlan Holliman, and most of all, picking a watermelon fresh from the patch, sitting on the ground while my Uncle Walt sat on the tailgate of his truck and we would eat the entire watermelon, leaving none for the coyotes that sometimes would claim our "prize"  it was here that I found a great life, and while standing on that bluff, I remembered all those great memories and the closeness of the people that were living on the "Island" at that time, some of those people have passed on, but some still remain, they love it down there, and so do I.  Yes, the Island will never be the same, it may be years before they can raise a decent corn crop, maybe not, but the Good Lord has provided for the people of the Island for well over 150 years and he will continue to provide for them and all of us.  Pastor Pritchett quoted my favorite verse Sunday in Church.  "They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall walk and not grow weary, they shall run and not faint, teach me Lord to wait."  so, I pray everyday for the Lord to teach me to wait, for it is all in his hands!

Thanks be to  God!

Scott

1 comment:

  1. Scott's post brings back good memories as Homer talked about his early life on the 'Island' for all of his 82 years. Just wanted to let you know that many others share in those days too, with hope that they continue.

    ReplyDelete