Saturday, December 14, 2013

More Memory Sharing

I remember a Christmas party my family went to when I was very young and people encouraged me to speak to Santa.  I refused to do so, and had a fit in order to impress upon them my feelings.  Not wanting to have anything to do with the strange man.  Later I was encouraged to give a hug and kiss to my father, which was not a problem.  Years later, looking back, I realized my father was playing Santa.  Also one year my parents canceled Christmas because of their children’s bad behavior.  Fortunately at the last minute Santa came through for us with nary a cinder in our stocking.  Marcia Little

I have very fond childhood memories of Christmas.  We had definite family traditions that we followed every year.  The Sunday School program was always on the 23rd, we went to my maternal grandparents’ home on Christmas Eve, and to my paternal grandparents’ home on Christmas Day.  We always had special Norwegian and English food.  My favorite was lefsa.  It is made from mashed potatoes, flour and lard.  It is rolled out like pie crust and cooked on a dry grill.  After it cools, it is buttered, sprinkled with sugar, and rolled up.  Yum! Yum!  This will be my first Christmas without Mom, but I will do my best to carry on the lefsa tradition.  Christmas was all about family traditions, not presents.  Thanks Mom and Dad for all the wonderful memories!  Mary Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment