Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Pie Anyone?!


The following was written by Marcia Little.  I envy those that have a way with words and Marcia is one of them.  The only thing that is missing is a picture of this scrumptious pie!
**************************************************

Prayers and love for all those in economic peril, lonely shut ins, healthcare workers!

I pulled from the bottom of the basement freezer a tub of last year’s cherries. I brushed off the freezer burn and set to make a pie.  In my kitchen, pies are problematical.  Sometimes they are failures that can’t be brought to the table. As a city girl, the time it takes to produce one pie, a farm girl might make forty. I felt this pie was doomed from the start, especially since my aching body was moving very slow, one step at a time.  I used what was on hand, all butter (no lard or Crisco), and cut pea size pieces into the flour as Mother would do (even though the butter lumps seemed rather large), added more water than recommended to pull the dough together, tried not to over work it, wrapped it up and put it in the refrigerator over night.  Next morning the dough rolled out more easily than expected, though a bit thick.  I added less sugar to the fruit and more Tapioca than recommended, former by preference and latter by fear.  Egg white was washed on the bottom crust to prevent what Paul Hollywood of the British Baking Show calls ’soggy bottom’.  I put in the cherries and made a woven top for the first time in my pie making life.  Some of the leftover yolk was washed on the lattice, then sprinkled with lots of sugar, as sister-in-law does.  The baking started at high heat which set off the house alarms.  Just as they stopped, Kate and Ron visited, and Ron said the crust was too brown too fast.  I cut out a foil ring to place over the thick outer crust, which one recipe book recommended and I had never done before. 

Anywaaaaay, as JoAnn might say….

This was the best pie ever!  Tart with sweet crunchy crust.
It is called Miracle Pie.
Thank you God.
I needed that.


No comments:

Post a Comment